Museum of Fine Arts
Originally founded in 1870, the MFA opened its doors to the public on July 4, 1876, the nation’s centennial. Built in Copley Square, the MFA was then home to 5,600 works of art. Over the next several years, the collection and number of visitors grew exponentially, and in 1909 the Museum moved to its current home on Huntington Avenue. today, teh MFA is one of the most comprehensive art museums in the world, with a collection that encompasses nearly 500,000 works of art.